Thursday, March 1, 2012

Truly differentiated instruction...

I was going to wait and blog tomorrow for my weekly reflection, but I just couldn't wait.

Today I saw a true picture of differentiated instruction in my Math Analysis classes and it was amazing.

I was up front on the whiteboard with 10-12 students going over a concept from 2 days ago for those who needed it.  I was able to teach it slower and go over it multiple times to make sure they understood.

One of my top students who was already a day ahead of the class took a group a four students who struggled on yesterday's test and did some remediation/reteaching with them in a small group.

Two of my students were at computers either re-watching or watching a video they needed to see.

The other 15-20 students were working in their small groups or by themselves on the concepts either through practice problems or concept quizzes.  Once my 10-15 minute session up front was finished, I was able to walk around and help them.

I seriously wish I could have freeze-framed the moment and posted pictures on here, but everyone was so engaged and involved in learning that I didn't want to disrupt the moment.  Hopefully you can picture it.

I love what this "flipped classroom" is turning into...

4 comments:

  1. Oooh I am so jealous. I don't get to see that kind of thing because I teach online in a live virtual class, so I don't see what they're doing. But I am flipping, so I know that differentiation is happening based on what they tell me individually. It would just be so nice to see it firsthand! Congrats, and btw, I filled in your survey, would love to know what the results/outcome is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently flipped and saw something similar in my classes within two weeks. I was so excited, Flipping hasn't turned out exactly as I planned-its something better because its organically developing differently in each of my classes. I'm enjoying reading your updates and seeing how the flipping is working for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I agree with you - it definitely doesn't always go as planned and it is a work in progress. Every class is different. Thanks for reading and have fun with your flipping!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...