Sunday, March 4, 2012

Student Survey Question 4: When do you watch the videos?


This is the fourth in a series of 10 posts about a student survey I gave to my classes after four weeks of a fully flipped classroom.  Here are the trends and some responses I have chosen to share.



All survey response can be found in the following posts:

Student Survey Question 1: Describe your effort in the flipped classroom and explain




Question 4. What time of day do you normally watch the videos?
Before 3pm that day 1 student, 1%
Between 3-5 pm 23 students, 14%
Between 5-7 pm 74 students, 45%
Between 7-9 pm 81 students, 50%
Between 9-11pm 47 students, 29%
After 11pm 21 students, 13%
The next morning before school 17 students, 10%
The next morning in seminar or lunch 12 students, 7%
People may select more than one checkbox, so percentages may add up to more than 100%.

Overall, the majority of the students are watching it when I recommend (between 3pm-9pm).  I honestly can't imagine being up doing homework and actually getting something out of it past 9 or 10 pm, but it seems like kids these days are up all hours doing homework.  Was I just an anomaly in high school that I took all Honors/AP classes, played 2 varsity sports, was very involved as a leader in my church, always got my homework done, got straight A's, and was still in bed no later than 10pm every night?  I feel like if I could do it, they should be able to do it.  Is technology these days such a huge distraction?  Is it families and parents not providing the needed boundaries for their children?  Is it the stress of having to take on family roles that teenagers should not have to take on?  These are questions I truly struggle with in my teaching career because I don't know the answers and I don't know how to get it across to some students the skills of time management and the importance of stressing a good education so they can have a successful life.  Yes, I want students to "have a life" - have fun, spend time with family and friends, etc... but I do believe their "job" right now is to get a good education and that means putting off time with friends until the weekends if they have a lot of homework.  I'm appalled when I leave campus at 4 or 4:15 and I see my students hanging outside with their friends waiting to be picked up by their parents and then they show up the next day not having watched the video when I had an hour of tutoring available with computers in my classroom they could have used.  I'm appalled when I will go out to eat with my husband in the middle of the week or go for a walk on a weekday evening and see teenagers out wandering around doing nothing productive...and knowing their parents probably don't even know where they are.  I know that I am not yet a parent and people have varying views on this, and there is not one stereotypical answer to this question, but it is a huge concern in my mind that today's teenagers are not growing up in a good environment.  I'm scared to see our world in 10 years...


Because of these results, it is important for me to remember:
1. Continue to stress the importance of time management and priorities with my students.  This may  mean sitting down with some of them and creating a work schedule of when they will get certain things done.
2. Continue to research getting more laptops or devices in my classroom for students to watch the videos on.  Sometimes I do have to turn kids away in the morning because my computers are filled up and the library or computer lab is closed that morning.   This also includes having them available for the students in class when they finish their work so they can start the next video before leaving school.   If anyone knows any information on grants or ways to go about this, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...