Link to similar presentation: http://www.tech4learning.com/iste2012-change-the-product
Program they used in Model Lesson https://www1.wixie.com/
Notes (from presenters in bold, from me in italics):
- The wealth of information our students have access to makes it easy for them to just go and data dump (copy-paste) into their project.
- We need to make sure that what we are asking them to do is relevant.
- If what we are doing does not reach for higher level thinking skills, it makes it very easy for them to just go into the Internet and copy-paste.
- We must introduce research to our students and teach them how to synthesize rather than copy.
- Big 6 Research Method
- We must work smarter, not harder - we aren't doing something additional, but we are doing what we already do BETTER
- Why do students copy? Very rarely is it just because they are lazy...
- Limited reading ability
- Limited vocabulary
- Lack of research skills
- Lack of understanding of assignment
- Lack of motivation
- A non-stimulating final product
- Bloom's Taxonomy
- Marzano - 9 things we want our students doing
- We can't have our students do projects that are just remembering and understanding
- Sample Projects (mostly for elementary level) can be found here.