Sunday, June 10, 2012

#flipclass chat thoughts (from Mon 6/4)

So this post is incredibly late, but I never got around to finishing it last week :)

I'm just posting it now with my favorite tweets separated into categories so I can refer back to them later this summer. 

My biggest reflections from this chat are:
  • Students still must feel fully supported in a Flipped Classroom... even though we are trying to limit spoon-feeding and wean them off what they have been used to for so many years, we need to expect that it is going to be hard for them and they are going to struggle with it at first and need our continued reminders and support as to why we are doing what we do.
  • Continue to work on my questioning techniques and ways to help students really think through the content and come to conclusions themselves (with my support and guidance, of course!)
  • I want to teach my students to use the internet as a resource more next year... the content and resources does not always have to come straight from me... I want them to learn how to find great stuff online, because once they get out of my class and into a non-flipped class, they are going to need those skills!  (And in life, too!)
  • Continue to encourage and find ways to model/teach good collaboration skills, especially at the beginning of the year.
 
How do you discourage and work against the "spoon-feeding" mentality of students in a flipped class? (via @guster4lovers)


When students just want us to give them the answers:

Supporting yet not spoonfeeding:
  • Closing note: we need to be careful not to go too extreme anti spoon-feeding. Support is key & it's imp ss know ur there for them
  • It's important to understand that not spoonfeeding Ss doesn't mean we stop answering their questions. Guide > Tell  


     Tom Driscoll@Mr_Driscoll
    Students need to know that you are still supporting them throughout process. Scaffolding and guidance a must to build trust. 
  • Stacey Roshan@buddyxo
    . Exactly. Support, trust, organization, clarity of expectations, consistency. These r crucial in the way I do things
     

Teaching students to collaborate:
Helping students understand the power of collaboration is huge!


Teaching students to use the Internet correctly as a resource for their learning:
 Getting students to show their work and thought processes:
Same here. Most eventually get it, but I still have a few reluctant work-showers
I never said it was easy! Esp frustrating for some of the really smart ones who like to hold all in their head
For those who "do it in their head", I always tell them, "I can't grade your brain".
. (Side rant) I thnk it goes back 2 earlier levels when "carrying the 1" in ur head = ur "smarter"
Classic!

Flipped Class Room Set-up

Random stuff:

  • Brian E. Bennett@bennettscience  What have you had to change about your approach to work in your JD Ferries-Rowe@jdferries learned: once they value class time, they want it/demand it. that means less "overview" even when more efficient

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...