Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What would YOU say? (part 1)

I have so many things I want to write about, but I don't have too much time.  I'm keeping a list and I'll get to them :)

So today's post is called "What would you say?" 

I would love to hear what YOU would say to these comments, ideas , and suggestions.  Some are ones I've actually heard, some are ones I just thought up...most are from a student's perspective, some are from a teacher's perspective.  Some of them I think I have answers to myself, others I really don't know what I would say.  For today, they are "complaints" I have heard about the Flipped Classroom model from students and "questions" I have heard about implementing the model from teachers.  Before I speak my mind in a later post, I would love to hear from everyone else...

Read my answers to these questions here

STUDENT PERSPECTIVE (How would you respond to these complaints?):
1. "I want to go back to a traditional classroom!  I used to be able to do all my homework for math in my other classes during the day and I wouldn't have any when I got home, but now I actually have to watch a video at home and I can't just be done during school."

2. "I would rather have you teaching in front of me, live.  I pay attention more when you are in front of me than when I watch/listen to you on video."

3.  "It takes too much time to watch a video and write my summary, and coming up with a question is really hard to do.  Why do we have to do that?  Why can't we just come to class with the video watched and that's it?" [refer to My Favorite WSQ for what I have my students do nightly]

4. "I'm used to traditional teaching. That's how it's always been.  That's how I want it to be."

5. "It's really hard for me to put into words how to do the math problem.  I'm able to do it on my own - why do I need to be able to explain it?"


TEACHER'S PERSPECTIVE (How would you answer these questions?):
1.  "If I can't get my students to do regular homework, how am I going to get them to watch a video for homework?"

2.  "How do you teach students to be responsible for their own learning and actually watch the video and not just 'watch' the video every night?  How do you hold them accountable?"

3.  "How do you make sure that students don't just copy the notes from a classmate, just like they would copy homework?"

4.  "How do you actually make this happen time-wise the first year you are doing it?  How do you make it do-able AND successful?"

5.  "If I don't want to fully flip, but want to try it, how do I pick the lessons that I want to 'flip' and how does it work with consistency in completion, expectations (in and out of class) when students aren't doing this nightly?"

Please join in the conversation, whether you have thoughts about ONE of these questions, or ALL of them.  All points of view are appreciated :)  I will post my answers to the questions and complaints in an upcoming post.


1 comment:

  1. Hey, Cyrstal.
    Here is what I think. The computer/internet has been a source of entertainment for our students and now we are asking them to use it for learning. How dare we! This was a hard transition for some of my students, but it's a lot better now. However, think about this for a minute. If more students are exposed to the flipping in the younger grades and it is continued through high school, the " traditional" classroom will be the flipped one and the complaints you are hearing now won't exist in the future. I think that change is hard and this what you are requiring of your peeps. It's a good life lesson for them. Keep your chin up and the goal in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...