Sunday, May 6, 2012

Math Analysis Student Thoughts on #flipclass - 7.5 months in

The following are responses to the survey I gave to my Math Analysis students after approximately 7.5 months of flipping my class (first 3 months was "disorganized" flipping, the last 4.5 months have been more focused/structured on what I really want my flipped class to look like).

The survey was given via Google Forms.  I had 69 of my 72 students complete the survey.

After each question are just a few personal reflections and thoughts that came to mind when I considered the results.


See the open-ended responses from my students in the second part of the post here:
See my Algebra 1 responses here:  Closed-ended    Open-ended

Do you watch the Flipped Classroom videos on time?
Always
3449%
Most of the time
3043%
Some of the Time
57%
Never
00%
 Reflection/Thoughts:
These statistics are very close to those from my Algebra 1 students.  Coming prepared to class has not really been that big of an issue for my Math Analysis Honors students.  After starting to make parent phone calls for unprepared students (right around the time this survey went out), it has almost been a non-issue.
The five students that said "Some of the time" are all students receiving fairly low F's (30-50%) and have, sadly, pretty much gave up on my class a long time ago.  Three of those five are seniors who don't need my class to graduate and thus have decided to focus on the courses they must pass (English, Government, etc).  It is a hard fact for me to swallow every year, but I know my failure rate for seniors is about double during the second semester than the first semester for that simple fact - the seniors who don't need my class to graduate and aren't going straight to a four-year university see no need to put in time and effort into my class.  Every year I keep striving to reach these students, but there is only so much I can do.
Do you find the WSQ discussions at the beginning of class helpful?
Always
1217%
Most of the Time
3449%
Some of the Time
2130%
Never
23%
 Reflection/Thoughts:
This is about where I thought my students would be, and I am pretty happy with these percentages (although I would like a little higher percentage in "always"). Like I mentioned with Algebra 1, the benefits of these discussions depend on several factors, including: 
1. Focused questions for students to discuss - I have gotten better at providing this
2. Appropriate level of questions where students feel confident enough to know the answers but challenged enough to still have some questions for their classmates - Sometimes good, sometimes bad
3.  Group expectations for what a WSQ conversation looks like and sounds like (modeled well at the beginning of the year)- Not consistently modeled and expectations unclear since we started in the middle of the year.
4. Accountability for all group members via a group interview, written reflection, etc at end of discussion time.  - Not consistently present.
These discussions are a big area of focus for me for next school year.  I want students to find them valuable, beneficial, and worth their time.  It will take some time on my part to decide exactly how to hold students accountable and to "train" them appropriately to utilize guided discussion times wisely. 
The two students who said never were:
(1) My "top" student who, for about 2 months of #flipclass worked ahead of the class at his own pace until I slowed him down because he was basically rushing and not really learning - just trying to move fast for the pride it would give him to be "smarter" than his classmates.  Thus, he actually didn't even start completing WSQs until recently and always does a very minimal job on them.  He is one of those students with so much potential, but doesn't want any of the extra "fluff" (not that I think the discussions are "fluff", but he does)
(2) My "lowest" student who is absent 1-2 times a week and hardly ever comes prepared with the WSQ completed to begin with.  
Do you find taking quizzes on the specific concepts helpful?
Always
1826%
Most of the Time
3449%
Some of the Time
1420%
Never
34%

 Reflection/Thoughts:
This is one mode of formative assessment I have used this year.  It is the one we started since Day 1 (it's a process I've been using for the last 4 years and actually did my Action Research Project for my MA on it).  Students take these mini-quizzes (1-4 questions each, one concept covered in each quiz) when they are ready for them and can retake them as many times as necessary.  I also provide incentives to them in that if they can get "perfect" on the mini-quiz, they are waived from the rest of the classwork assignment and can move on.
Many of my students (like in Algebra 1), struggle with the freedom to take quizzes on their own time because they cannot plan ahead and manage their time.  That is something I really like to have them do (saves me a lot of time grading failing quizzes, too!), but I obviously need to find a way to help guide them into managing their time better for next year.
 
Do you find making videos on the specific concepts helpful?
Always
1014%
Most of the Time
2536%
Some of the Time
2739%
Never
710%

 Reflection/Thoughts:
This is a second mode of formative assessment I have been using with my Math Analysis students this year.  There have been some pros and cons to the process, and it has been a learning experience.  If you have been following my blog, you know I have posted a lot about student created videos (see page with links to most of those posts here). 
One of the positives I see with using this as formative assessment is that it is a less stressful environment to show me what they know, and it actually shows me a lot more about what they understand because I can hear/see when they make mistakes and try to figure out why.  Some of the negatives include the delayed feedback (they have to upload it and then I grade it, so it might take a day or two) as well as technological issues/time it takes to upload and send depending on internet connection. 
I am almost leaning towards giving students options next year of how they want to formatively assess with me before the chapter tests.  I want them to be challenged a little out of their comfort zone to an extent, so I would like them having to do both quizzes and videos to a point.  This is still something I need to think through.
One idea I haven't used this year is having students make videos to actually teach content to other students, not just to use as an assessment tool after they have watched my videos.  I haven't thought through that enough to try it out this year, but it is on my radar. 
How confident do you feel about the material AFTER watching the video but BEFORE coming to class to work on problems?
Extremely confident
913%
Somewhat confident but need more help
5174%
Not very confident
913%
No idea what is going on
00%

 Reflection/Thoughts:
There is a much higher percentage of Math Analysis students (compared to Alg 1) who don't feel confident when they come to class.  One obvious factor is the complexity of the material they are learning.  All of these students are "struggling learners" (meaning not necessarily D/F, but do take a lot longer to learn the material).  One thing I really want to focus on for next year is the small group pull-outs I've done several times this year.  I also want students to take responsibility for ASKING for that when needed. Maybe I can come up with some sort of system where they let me know when they come in how they feel about the lesson (with colored cards or something?).  Then I can easily tell how big of a group needs some more support and can differentiate better.  Then, the responsibility for asking for help is in THEIR hands.  Hmmm... I think I like that idea.
How confident do you feel about the material AFTER watching the video and AFTER coming to class to work on problems with others?
Extremely confident
3652%
Somewhat confident but need more help
3145%
Not very confident
23%
No idea what is going on
00%

 Reflection/Thoughts:
I do really like the transition of students feeling much more confident after class.  That shows me that they see class time as a beneficial time to understand the material better. 
My two students who still were not very confident are two students who really don't do anything at home or in class.  Both seniors who don't need my class (I hate that excuse, but it's true, sadly...). They don't participate and don't ask questions.  How do I reach out to those kids who don't want to be reached out to? 
Please describe the amount of effort you have been putting in during your time AT HOME?
I'm trying as hard as I can - max effort
1319%
I’m putting in a good effort each day
5275%
I’m not really trying
23%
Little or no Effort at all
23%

 Reflection/Thoughts:
These results are not surprising, and my 4 "not trying/no effort" students are the same ones I've mentioned above that basically are doing nothing - seniors, again, who don't see my class as worth their time anymore since it "has no effect" on their future (even though it does, since they have to take math at community college).
It does bug me a bit that only 19% of the students feel they are giving max effort - I wish that was a little higher.  I feel like some of the downsides of giving students the responsibility for their learning is it does make some of them a little more lazy.  I just hope that it is a learning experience for them, and they do learn in the end skills that will help them be successful. 
Please describe the amount of effort you have been putting in during your time IN CLASS?
I'm trying as hard as I can - max effort
1319%
I’m putting in a good effort each day
4870%
I’m not really trying
710%
Little or no Effort at all
11%

 Reflection/Thoughts:
Same thoughts as last question - I do wish I had more students in the "max effort", but it is good to see so many who see themselves and working hard.  I feel like as I get a clearer picture of exactly what I want my flipped classroom to look like, it will be easier to motivate those students to give their full effort every day because the goal will be clearer.
Only four of the 8 "not trying/no effort" students concern me.
1) Senior who used to love the flipped classroom but now hates it.  I haven't figured out why yet, but did just ask her this weekend so hopefully she'll give me some insight.
2) Senior who is just overwhelmed by this class.  She comes prepared 90% of the time, but the content is just so above her level right now...
3) Senior who has gotten in trouble in my class alone three times for cheating/plagiarism and thus has earned a seat in the corner by himself for the last month or so.  He has copied homework, classwork, projects, written formulas on his desk, etc.  He can't be trusted to work in a group.
4) Junior who I have written about many times before (most namely here).  I spoke with one of his other teachers last week and, without mentioning anything from my perspective, was told, "He just does enough to get by to stay on the baseball team, doesn't he?".  Now that I look at it from that perspective, I completely agree.  He is very smart and talented, but has no desire to really push himself because he wants to do just enough to get by.
What is the MOST HELPFUL part of the "flipped classroom"?
watching videos by Mrs. Kirch
5884%
WSQ - summary part
69%
WSQ - question part
23%
WSQ - in class discussion part
1420%
Quizzes
1217%
Making student videos (Math Analysis only)
1420%
doing PQs in class
3551%
Nothing is helpful
00%
Other
812%
People may select more than one checkbox, so percentages may add up to more than 100%.

 Reflection/Thoughts:
One of the student "other" comments really struck me as true:  "Depending on what exactly we're supposed to be doing, different things are helpful.I think that quote is so important to remember - there is not one class activity that is perfect for every lesson.  Likewise, there is not one activity that suits every student and aids in their learning.  The challenge/struggle is allowing for that differentiation but not driving myself crazy with so much going on at once!
I really want to get away from the "traditional" definition of the flipped classroom next year, because I see that my students have a very limited view of what it is.  What they see it to be (as shown by these results and just me overhearing their conversations) is that the flipped classroom is all about watching videos at home and doing PQs (practice problems) in class.  So, when I add "extra" things like WSQs, Discussions, Quizzes, Student-created Videos, etc, they see that as "extra, unneeded" junk to waste their time.  When, in fact, I think those are the MORE important parts of the class - making meaning of the content and not just doing practice problems.  
I have yet to decide exactly how to present the flipped classroom to my students next year so their perspective on it is not skewed from day 1. I don't want them to think it's all about the videos, and I hope to provide more than just videos next year for exposure to content.  I also want them to see the benefit of the WSQ and discussion time so they don't see it as much of a chore this year.  They are not used to having to think, speak, read, and write about the math (and after 10-11 years of traditional math education, who would be used to that?!?!).  They would much rather just mindlessly learn enough to pass the tests - but I am asking for more...
What is the LEAST HELPFUL part of the "flipped classroom"?
watching videos by Mrs. Kirch
00%
WSQ - summary part
1623%
WSQ - question part
2333%
WSQ - in class discussion part
1014%
Quizzes
710%
Making student videos (Math Analysis only)
1928%
doing PQs in class
00%
Nothing, it is all helpful
1928%
Other
34%
People may select more than one checkbox, so percentages may add up to more than 100%.



 Reflection/Thoughts:
Glad to see that nobody sees my videos at "least helpful" :)
And, glad to see that nobody sees the PQs as a waste of time :)
And, glad to see that 28% of my students think everything we do is helpful to an extent.
This question is all across the board, and I think it has to do with what I mentioned above -  "Depending on what exactly we're supposed to be doing, different things are helpful. Different students, different content, different preferences.
"other" comments:
-having the responsibility of watching videos on your own time instead of class  (F student)
-Sometimes Mrs. Kirch does problems in their most basic form instead of teaching the more difficult ones (my "top" student) - so the next day I gave him the challenge of figuring something out I didn't teach the rest of the class.  He thrives on that and enjoyed it.  The only problem is that he'll never ask for it or seek it out on his own.  He'll do what is expected of him and that's it.  One of my goals for next year is to have "challenge" concepts in with each chapter already figured out and formulated so those students can push themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Your work supports the idea that videos made by the teacher are better than videos made by someone other than the teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...