My goal is to create a reference & reflective place for me as I continue growing as a coach.
See my notes from all book chapters on my Coaching Page.
Direct quotes from the book are in blue.
- "In order for coaching to be maximized and to deliver on its potential, coaches will need formalized, systematized structures in which to learn together" (page 268)
- The leader of a team should be a highly experienced coach
- PD for coaches: focus on refining coaching skills
- Rubric included for self-assessment & reflection (in Appendix C of book, or on her website here). Includes domains of:
- Knowledge base
- Strategic Design -
- How do you design and then actually use work plans? They should be guiding every step of the way.
- Also, how you plan for conversations - this means both preparing and practicing.
- Coaching Conversations
- Use audio / video to analyze coaching conversations. Think about how much I talk, wait time, what type of questions I'm asking, what stances I take, etc. Think about how the client responded to the choices I made.
- Focus on listening without attachment - this means not going into a conversation hoping for a certain result or that the client will do what we want them to do. We can't be attached to outcome; we must stay attached to the outcome of equity.
- Strategic Actions
- Coach as Learner
- use reflective prompts
- Learning activities for growth:
- Role-Plays (include coach, client, and observer)
- Consultancies - structured process to help someone think through a problem.
Thanks for learning along with me!
PS - now that I'm done with this, Elena Aguilar has fully updated her website and included a READER'S GUIDE with reflection questions. Now I feel like going back through and re-blogging all this... but, with Baby #2 coming in less than a month, that may be a little delayed. Check out the Reader's Guide from her website here. I'll update all of my chapter posts as I have time to go back through the reflective prompts.