Sunday, January 22, 2012

I have this vision...

It has only been 2 weeks since I started the WSQ version (see previous posts) of my Flipped Classroom (last 2 weeks of the first semester), and I am already beginning to see a vision of what I want my classroom to be. I am seeing students hunched over working together, explaining problems in their own words to each other. I am seeing students of multiple achievement levels working together. I am seeing myself walking around and getting asked a question, but before I am able to answer it, someone in the group does. I am seeing students re-watching videos when they need it explained again, freeing up my time to work with more students.

I hope to continue to see this vision become fuller as the students get used to the different type of classroom. I have a lot of goals and visions, but I think this one is a big one:

I WANT A CLASSROOM WHERE STUDENTS ARE DOING THE LEARNING, THE TALKING, AND THE PROBLEM SOLVING.

I'm kind of sick of being the teacher standing up front teaching for 40 minutes and only giving my students 10 minutes to actually work on it before they are sent home to do it on their own.

So far, having a "flipped classroom" is helping me to accomplish that vision.

1 comment:

  1. I first heard this idea from a presenter at an Etech conference in Ohio a few years ago. I remember taking note of this because it really made so much sense. I would be interested to hear the pluses and deltas of this as you continue to implement it. I have not used it necessarily since I am a completely online teacher, so in a sense we are doing this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...